Thursday, October 31, 2013

Pumpkin Fun!

Last week the boys and I were invited to join my friend's preschool group on a trip to pick pumpkins!  I am truly grateful, because it allowed the boys to get a true field trip experience.  Waiting in line, playing with other kids, taking turns.  The boys loved it... well mostly.  CJ wasn't too happy about being in the carrier.  He prefers to be on the ground ever since he found his walking legs.  Unfortunately, I wasn't interested in scooping him up and out of various obstacles around the farm.

We enjoyed a hayride, and picking pumpkins in a pumpkin patch of course, but we also had a blast feeding and petting the animals.



The boys had a blast playing in the world's largest sensory bin.  Just kidding, it was a shed filled with corn kernels, and lots of trucks, buckets, and shovels.  My boys were in heaven.  I had to literally drag Bear out.  


His disappointment was short lived, as it was off to a corn maze!  Ace had a great time leading the way!

I love when I get pictures like this!!
Needless to say the boys had a blast! and gave me quite a nice nap when we returned home... Winning!!

Having brought home a few good pumpkins, we of course had to do a few good activities with those pumpkins!

First we washed pumpkins.  This was a great water activity and we were also able to discuss sinking and floating.  Love these teachable moments!!


With our pumpkins cleaned, painting was our next activity.



Of course we had to make a Jack-O-Lantern!  His name is Silly Spooky Jack-O-Lantern.  Creative, right?  I should have followed the Pinterest directions for prolonging the life a Jack-O-Lantern, but...  After a few days on our counter, he was a moldy mess.  So he was relocated to the front porch until Halloween. 


Sorry Jack.

Anyway... scooping pumpkin seeds is one of Ace's favorite things.  I believe I've mentioned he is all for anything sensory.  Squishy, slimy, pumpkins seeds and flesh is right up his ally.  

Some of the seeds we used for this letter art activity.  Ace is getting better at squeezing his own glue.  It's difficult for me to let go and allow him to make his own (mess and all).  It takes a lot of deep breathing for me.  I still put Bear's glue for him... He's I'm just not ready yet.


I saw a super yummy looking idea on Pinterest for the remaining pumpkins seeds.  I'm hoping to try that recipe Next week.  I'll let you know how it goes.

Last, I made some pretty simple pumpkin puree'.  


Now, I must admit, I do not like pumpkin pie, AT ALL!!  I'm sure I'm not the only one!  I can't really pin point why.  I typically love a good custard pie, so it's not the texture, maybe it's just too.. pumpkinny?  Whatever, I did whip up some yummy pumpkin french toast, and I also want to try some pumpkin muffins, or pumpkin bread, amongst other things.  So after following The Pioneer Woman's recipe for pumpkin puree, I divided it up and placed it in the freezer to await the fun things I have planned for it.


Any ideas for some yummy (non-pumpkin pie) pumpkin treats
 I should try???






















No comments:

Post a Comment