Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Cheap Fall Home Decorations


Hey all!! 

October is well under way and I am loving the crisp fall air and beautiful colors.  I have not always been a fan of the fall.  I typically only saw it as the end of summer, that glorious season in which I was off work and basically played at the pool or beach.  However, as I have grown, so has my love for all seasons, including the fall.

As a child I loved dressing up for Halloween, but as a young adult, the holiday lost it's appeal.  Now, this mother of three, loves it all over again.  I can't wait to dress my kiddos up, take 65,000 pictures, and go Trick or Treating!! This will be the first year I get to be creative during Halloween.  Ace wants to be a Spy, not the trench coat and sunglasses kind, a secret agent spy with cool gadgets.  He's kind of obsessed with SpyKids.  I've got some great ideas up my sleeve for him!  Bear keeps saying he wants to be a pumpkin.  If he gets his way, it will be his 4th... yes 4th year as a pumpkin.  Haven't decided on a costume for CJ yet, traditionally I've dressed the youngest in the pumpkin costume we have, but that may not work out this year.

Thanksgiving is another fall holiday I have a new found love for.  As a foodie, it has always been dear to my heart (especially while in college).  I have so many things to be thankful for and I love a holiday that celebrates all of those things.  This year will be extra special because my little turkey (CJ) will be turning 1 very close to Thanksgiving this year.  We brought him home from the hospital last Thanksgiving.   I've decided to host a huge Thanksgiving this year so our family can all give thanks and celebrate my baby's first year together.

In years past, I wasn't a huge seasonal decorator.  When the Christmas holidays rolled around my husband and I would go all out, 13ft tree and all, but the fall was typically passed over with the exception a Jack-O-Lantern on the front porch.  Last year I began collecting and making fall decorations for my home.

Today, I want to share some of the things I've made and collected.  Hopefully in the next week I can do a tutorial or at least point you in the direction of some really good ones.



These little scarecrows welcome guest at the front door.  This is one of the few items I've had for a few years.  It's seen better days, so I spruced it up with some Dollar Tree glitter accents.


I added simple little metal pumpkins on this table.  I bought them for $3.99 at the supermarket.  I have yet to add little tea lights.


I've been in love with burlap banners since I've seen them popping up all over the blogosphere.  Of course I had to make one.  UPDATE!! Here's my Tutorial!!


A closer look.  I love this, especially since it was pretty simple and inexpensive to make.


I added mini pumpkins to a cylinder vase I already had, and topped my candle sticks with  dressed up Dollar Tree pumpkins.


I made these last year (or was it the year before last?).  Quite simple, I painted them the same color as my family room walls, applied a crackle medium, then topped with white paint.  The jewel and ribbon came this year.  I thought they needed a bit of bling.


Moving on to the kitchen, I made and hung a new burlap wreath on my pantry door.  All my searches for burlap banner tutorials lead me to burlap wreath tutorials and I couldn't pass this up.  They were both so easy and like I said before, cheap.

I found these happy little guys at Walmart for $1.99.  I love them, of course I had to get three!! I added them to one of my kitchen windows.


I added 3 little pumpkins to my window by the sink.  They make me happy.


I put together a small platter of candles (which I already had), small pumpkins, and foe leaves for the kitchen table.  At some point I know I will be making a fall flower arrangement, but for now this will do.


I made a similar platter in my dinning room.  I bought those pumpkins last year from Hobby Lobby at %50 off towards the end of the fall season.  At the end of this fall season I will be going back to shop for cheap decorations again.





I had to add these pictures of the two Softsoap dispensers I bought.  I added one to the kitchen sink and one in our downstairs powder room.  When Ace first saw the Jack-O-Lantern, I was promptly given the best mom ever award.  I gladly accepted of course.  I love this age when it truly is the little things that make them so happy.


No comments:

Post a Comment