Friday, February 25, 2011

My Week in the Five O'clock Club!

I've often heard people wish there was just a little more time in the day.  Sometimes it seems that 24 hours is simply not enough time.  Well, Mary Kay Ash figured out a solution to this problem.  You see, she figured that it's not that there isn't enough time in the day, it's that we aren't awake for enough of those hours.  Her solution is a simple one (or is it?), wake up at 5 am.  She'd wake up at 5 am and get finished with the chores she couldn't do while the kids were awake.  In this way, when the kids did wake up, she could devote her attention to them instead of other less important tasks.  Mary Kay encouraged all consultants to join what she called "The Five O'clock Club".

After reading Mary Kay's biography, I was inspired to try this myself, at least for a week.

Sunday: I actually slept pretty well, but when my alarm went off at 5 am my brain said "you're kidding right?" So back to sleep I went (until little bear woke up 20 minutes later).  By the time I was done with my little guy, there was a two year old calling me (think Stewie from the Family Guy).  Oh well, there's always tomorrow!

Monday: Little Bear was up at 1 am and back down at 2:30, then Munchkin was up at 2:38.  Bear was back up at 3:30 am.  Needless to say at 5 am I hit the snooze button, and slept until Little Bear was up again 30 minutes later! YAWN!

Tuesday: Just like Monday minus Munchkin.  At 5 am I hit the snooze again!

Wednesday: Little Bear was up at 2:30, then again at 4:55.  After feeding and changing Little Bear I laid him back down.  At 5:45, I walked and fed the dogs.  Then came back in had a cup of coffee.  Just as I sat down to relax (oops, isn't this chore time?) and pat myself on the back for actually getting something done, Munchkin was up.  SIGH!

Thursday: Very similar night to Wednesday.  At 5 am when the alarm went off, I was already up.  After caring for Bear,  I took the dogs out, came back inside and... went back to sleep.

Friday: Little bear was up at 1:55, then back up at 5 with my alarm.  After his feeding and changing, I took the dogs out, then made my husband breakfast (yeah, I know!).  Then gathered my pumping equipment.  When Little Bear woke up, I'd already expressed milk and had my morning cup of joe. PASS!

My assessment: On the days when I actually accomplished at least one task before my little ones woke, I felt great.  I had a much less rushed morning and was able to eat breakfast with my son.  This 5 O'clock club is definitely attainable, but perhaps more so for women with no infant.  I've learned that sleep is sooo important.  With out it I am no good to my babies,  and I may accidentally put my Timewise 3-in-1 cleanser on my tooth brush (that's a whole other story).  Oh well, moving forward I will continue to take things day by day.  Today I am an active member of the 5 O'clock Club, tomorrow, chances are my card will be revoked! ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment